Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Next Food Network Star 2010 - Episode 1

Here we are again, another season of Food Network Star! I have been eagerly anticipating 2 things. One was my acceptance to the TNFNS and once that was not a reality, the beginning of the season!

Let me just say, the contestants this year actually seem to have some sort of SKILL that is apparent from the get go. In the past most of the contestants had some KITSCH thing that made them "cool" but this year they have some actual cooks. Chefs, Private Chefs, Culinary School Grads. Not bad, I think this is going to be some good competition this year. Not quite the clear winners from the get go like last year.

Just like last year, here are my rules. Play the show, once a challenge is announced I have 5 minutes to decide my answer. If there is a choice like the next challange, Amanda will pick a number and that will be what I will have to work with.

So what happened in the first episode... The first challenge!

BLANK CANVAS CHALLENGE:
Chicken and Potatoes - Create a meal that is "YOU" with these 2 ingredients.

Roasted BBQ Chicken and Potato Pie with Caramelized Onions

- I would have broken the chicken down into quarters for quicker roasting. get Onions caramelizing.
- Start on the BBQ sauce to glaze the chicken. Tomato, Spice, Chipotle, Honey, etc
- Mandoline potatoes, quick blanch while making a peppery bechamel
- As sauce thickens, baste chicken, put together potato pie with onions and bechamel. get it in the oven.
- Wait and PLATE!

How does it fit into my culinary point of view? COME ON! How all-American is BBQ chicken. The roasting and basting gives the chicken that "shake-n-bake" kind of feel but not HORRIBLE. The flavors in the sauce draw from all walks of life and the potato pie/tart is a spin on a french dish and an au gratin.


STAR Challenge
Cook one out of 6 courses for WOLFGANG PUCK!

I think I would have been pretty nervous about this one. Wolfgang is far and away one of the greatest chefs, on that level. His opinions could easily make or break you. Amanda picked the number 5 and the 5tyh course assigned was the MEAT course. This one popped right up. It had to be California Cuisine as a base and off from there

Grilled Porkchop with Firecracker Salsa and Spicy Cheesy Black Bean Puree

Day One:
- Get pork prepped
- chop up salsa ingredients: pineapple, roasted pablano, etc. and get it marinating
- get beans drained and prepped for puree

Day Two:
- Get the beans on to heat up, grate cheese, spice it up and hit it with a hand mixer.
- Season and grill the chops to mark them, finish in the oven since I would have bought the thickest chops possible.


DELICIOUS! I would bet MONEY on it.

If you saw the episode, how do you think I would have done in the competition?

No comments:

Post a Comment